CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Yummy Cookies

As I mentioned the other day, I made some butterhorn cookies for a tea social I went to and they were sooo yummy! I got hooked on butterhorns at our local Starbucks and thought, for 85 cents each, I should be able to make these. Little did I know that I could make ones that taste so much better!!! Thought I'd share the recipe today as I had yummy butterhorns on my mind and no time to make more so till keep dreaming butterhorns!

Butterhorn Cookies

2 cups flour
1 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, divided
2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional but tastes great with them
1 cup sugar, divided
3/4 tsp cinnamon

In a large bowl, measure flour, butter, sour cream, salt baking poder, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 egg yolk (save the egg white for later). Mix with spoon until blended and mixture holds together. May use mixer if you cream the butter first. Shape into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap, chill 2-3 hours until firm. In a small bowl, mix walnuts, cinnamon and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out 1/3 of dough to 1/8 inch thick (about a 10 inch circle). Spread with egg white using pastry brush. Cut into 12 equal wedges, using a pizza cutter is the easiest way to do this. Sprinkle 1/3 of walnut mixture on wedges. Roll into crescent starting at wide end. Place cookies point side down about 1 1/2 inches apart on cookie sheet. In cup beat, 1 egg & 1/2 tsp sugar. Brush on cookies. Bake 15-20 minutes being sure not to over bake.

Makes 36 cookies. This is a relatively quick recipe to make just has the chilling time in the middle. Taste great warm or cooled just don't burn your mouth on them eating directly out of the oven, although they are soooo good that way!

No comments: